4.08.2006

MLB Blogging and Darryl Strawberry

Now that the baseball season is open, it's time for me to get real interested for a week and then forget all about the sport. I really wish I would follow it more. This year, it's gonna be different (I think I say this every year).

But I know I can do it this year, because of MLB Blogs. I'm not sure if this is the first year they did this. I think it is, but I am probably wrong. For you Mets fans, David Wright's Blog should be your first stop each day (well, after this ours).

On a completely different note, I think we are going to a party tonight. It's a theme party. I don't know why people throw theme parties. I think the only people that throw theme parties are people who started drinking at age 12. Now that they are in their mid to late 20s they are so jaded by ordinary drinking and need to spice up things. Anyway, here's the deal (bear with me):

At restaurants, water is served in cups or glasses. (Or sippie cups, if served to small children.) At viking feasts, wine is consumed from the skull of a freshly slaughtered yak. In my home country of Georgia, the natives often drink beer from tall aluminum cans.

All across the world, there are customs and accepted practices for drinking beverages. But one night a year -- those meager rules fly out the window and splatter on the pavement like an overzealous pet gerbil who strayed too close to the window sill in pursuit of what he believed to be freedom. For those of you not in the know, it is called The Receptacle Spectacle. This is Year Three. In the year two thousand and five, this night ended with yours truly drooling helplessly into a very large plastic bucket one of the party's guests had been drinking out of earlier in the evening. Therein lies the spirit of the Spectacle --
come forth with your most heinously bizarre container and fill it to the brim (or brim-like equivalent) with alcohol. (Or if alcohol doesn't suit you -- MSG-filled water and Yellow Dye #5 will also be available.) Be it an empty gasoline can, an upside-down yarmulke dipped in fast-drying concrete, a well-polished (but extremely smelly and dirt-filled) old combat boot -- your instructions are to
come in peace and drink with violent ferocity.

For those of you out of practice in the art of drinking (and socializing), prepare yourselves, for the event approaches quickly: Saturday, April 8th is the date. Call the start time 9:30. Bring friends and/or relatives if house broken. So friends, let it be so. Let us all remove several days from our respective life expectancies with a night of debauchery so memorable it would make Darryl
Strawberry sigh wistfully in our general direction.


Questions, comments, concerns: Go cry to your Nana.

Whoo, that was a lot of info. I know it's short notice, but what should we drink out of?

Play ball!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i was going to the mets game today. got all the way out to shea and the game was called off due to the rain. weak.