9.24.2008

PI, byebye

Pleasure Island is closing. Not a big deal. The place was a little cheesy for most of us I am sure. I only went there once. I was seventeen and Chad Shatte (spelling?) and Frank Fillman's older sister snuck Frank and me in. It was pretty terrible. But it still is sad to see it close; I can still remember the commercials for "new years, every night."

A short history of PI from Orlando Sentinel:

*1986 -- Walt Disney Co. Chairman Michael Eisner tells shareholders the company is planning an entertainment complex to be called Pleasure Island or Disney Island.

*May 1989 -- Official opening of Pleasure Island.

*1990 -- Its "New Year's Eve every night" celebration begins.

*1996-97 -- Disney's BoardWalk and Downtown Disney's West End open.

*2005 -- New Year's theming ditched; admission fee dropped unless guest wanted to enter nightclubs.

*2006 -- New bridge built, outdoor stages torn down.

*Feb. 3, 2008 -- Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club closes.

*June 27, 2008 -- Closing of remaining nightclubs announced.

*Sept. 27, 2008 -- Last night for clubs.

2 comments:

Sofia said...

Leti and her friends and I went when we were in FL after she graduated high school. It was pretty lame.

Anonymous said...

I went there once. Boring. Unless you like to dance, (Poorly. Mostly grinding) or listen to radio rap garbage/ 'tween alt-pop. Its a lot like the ONLY concession stand at carnival in a small town with no culture. Over priced, and surreal. As are most things at Disney. I found myself thinking "Am I really at a bar?" or "Is this Disney taco actually a taco or some kind of strange pre-packaged rations?"