8.06.2009

Thirsty Thursday #27



Le Fleur, Misseur?
by New Belgium Brewing Co., Ft. Collins, CO
Style: Belgian Pale Ale
ABV: 6.5%

Never heard of this beer. Then one day I am cruising the aisles of Spec’s and this bottle jumped out at me. Maybe because it was sitting next to his brother, La Folie. My first gulp I thought, “(512) One” and then the brett hit me. The brett came across muted, which was nice. Tart, but not cheek pucker tart, just kind of tweek yr tongue tart.

The story behind the name:

Produced for New Belgium coworkers to celebrate our 15th anniversary, Le Fleur has roots in the earliest days of our history. In 1988 founder Jeff Lebesch sat weary on the side of a Belgian road when a young lad passing by picked a delicate yellow flower and offered it to Jeff.

“Le Fleur, Misseur?” Jeff misspelled the boy’s comment in his journal as he accepted the offering. A treasured memory, a beer to treasure.

No comments: