7.09.2008

NYC v. Austin #5: BBQ



You’re joking right? No, no, let’s just do this.

NYC
You can’t possibly think NYC has better BBQ than Texas. It just makes me giggle to think about. NYC has some great things, obviously but BBQ is not one of them. Sure there are some decent BBQ places, but they are really just decent BBQ as in decent for NYC. When you can’t get the real thing NY BBQ may squelch your desire for at least a day. I will not list any places.

Austin
My mouth is watering. Let me get this out of the way: SALT LICK.

Salt Lick – By far the best BBQ I have ever tasted. I don’t claim to be an expert at BBQ, or anything for that matter, but Salt Lick’s BBQ is like nothing I have ever tasted. The brisket is amazing, butter smooth. The sausage is fantastic. The sauce is perfect. It is a bit of a hike from Austin, but so worth it. BYOB, a plus for sure, since most BBQ joints have shite beer.

Ruby’s – I was really surprised by this place. It is practically on campus and is counter order type of place. The beef is grass fed and delicious. I had the Elgin sausage which was money as well. Cheap and a five minute walk from the house.

County Line – Most people I have talked to are either Salt Lick or Count Line people. To me this place doesn’t come close to the glory of Salt Lick, but it is pretty decent and has some good view from the back porch. The ribs are huge, which I feel is a bit gimmicky, but I don’t really like ribs anyway.

Uncle Billy’s – Let’s face it, I just like this place because they brew their own beer and it is good. The BBQ is ok. Their Smoked Porter is really good.

Green Mesquite – Nothing terribly exciting food wise, but pretty solid. The restaurant has a really cool atmosphere as well, with old concert posters spattered about and a large outdoor seating area.

There are many other places we have yet to try. One I am really excited about is Black’s which is in Lockhart about 45 minutes outside Austin.

Winner:
Austin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear Black's is THE SHIT.